Monday, September 16, 2013

How to Cut Up A Whole Chicken


I like buying whole chickens for several reasons. They're usually cheaper per pound than trimmed chicken pieces. I've gotten leg quarters or half breasts with skin and bone for cheaper, but have you noticed they usually have big chunks of skin tucked underneath? I'm not sure how much weight that actually adds, but it feels sneaky to me. I think the thing that I like the most about this is that I can get the most possible use out of the whole chicken. The only thing I don't know what to do with is the skin. Any ideas?




There you have it! With some practice, we might be as fast as Yan someday!

A few notes:
  • Save those giblets! If you aren't a giblet gravy person, your cat or dog will love you for them. I like to cut them up into treat sizes and flash freeze on a tray with wax or parchment paper. I have also heard that chicken liver makes good fish bait.
  • Sorry about the pic for separating the leg quarter into drumstick and thigh. I somehow missed that one! You can see the line of fat in the picture I used for now. I'll update this post the next time I cut up a chicken.
  • A post on making chicken stock with the lovely chicken carcass is forthcoming. :)
Please share your favorite ways to prepare chicken! Do you have any special tricks to make it extra delicious?



No comments:

Post a Comment