Monday, September 2, 2013

Guiltless Freezing

I just recently discovered that freezer bags are recyclable! I have yet to try it, but it sounds like you can turn clean and dry freezer bags in at grocery stores that recycle plastic shopping bags. 

Washing them can be done inside out in a dishwasher, or by hand. We aren't lucky enough to have a dishwasher in this house, but it's only a matter of seconds to squish some soapy water around in it and hang it in my drying rack on a spatula.

I was looking into alternatives for freezer meal containers that are better for the environment. There are some affordable options out there...

For example:


Wide mouth mason jars
Freezer paper
 Plastic wrap and aluminum foil
...but I still feel that zippered freezer bags are the most flexible for most freezer meal applications. They allow you to reduce freezer burn by pushing out air, and can be stacked neatly and tightly together if frozen flat. 

However, I am hardly ever able to reuse them. They develop pinholes and leak when defrosting, get contaminated with raw meat, or sometimes I just get impatient and rip them open to defrost things (like soup stock) in a pan. Now I don't have to feel as wasteful because I can take them in to be recycled!

Ziploc even has a rewards program, which you can check out here (no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way):



I'm still interested in getting some reusable freezer containers eventually. What are your favorite ways to store your freezer meals?

2 comments:

  1. margarine containers, mason jars and the aforementioned recycled ziplock bags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good one! I reuse yogurt containers for homemade ice cream and big ice blocks for my dog to play with, too!

      Delete