Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Ugliest Garden

Gotta Start Somewhere:

So, here it is! The beginning of my experimental garden (plus a bonus compost heap!). Haha, not much to look at, huh?

I wanted to get the few seedlings that survived the move into the ground as soon as possible. So a couple of days after we moved in, I busted out the shovel. I dug up a small section of grass, mixed in several pounds of used coffee grounds, and stuck two greenbean plants, a couple of butternut squash plants, and a couple of pepper plants into the ground. Then a few days later I stuck a bunch more seeds in in random places. lol! I'm hoping it will be like one of those square foot gardens, only much less organized.

I wanted to mix the dirt up better and make it all pretty with even rows, but... it turns out dirt is heavy. I got lazy after about an hour of digging and stirring.

I think if nothing else surives, the green beans will. They seemed to flourish through a 5 hour ride in the car, a week in an overly air conditioned hotel room, and a few days more on a concrete slab in the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment